Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi>)
Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:55:50PM +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

> > It is too late to think about pushing back another month.  We had this
> > discussion already.  June 1 is it.
>
> I thought the outcome of that discussion was June 15 ?

I think there was no outcome.  There was no official pronouncement, there
was no vote, there was no consensus.  People seemed to stick with whatever
was closer.

> Can we try to do the 2PC patch now instead of waiting for subtransactions ?

The last post from Heikki I read said that he discovered some serious
problems with his implementation and he wanted do rethink about them.  I
don't think he will be able to make it, mainly because if my patch gets
accepted it will be too close to feature freeze (if it is June 1st).

Personally I've been focused on getting subtransactions done and now I think
I'm very close to an acceptable patch, but what has slowed me down the last
time has been lack of feedback from core developers.  It was feedback I
needed to figure out the best ways to do things (I made several big mistakes
that I'm only now correcting thanks to invaluable comments from Tom Lane),
and without it the last steps were getting very difficult to me.
Fortunately now I've got it.

I have some confidence in that I will be able to deliver it maybe the last
week of May.  I can only hope, however, that it will not be rejected because
it's presented too close to feature freeze.  That would be a shame, because
I offered incremental patches a lot of time ago and they weren't even looked
at  (Hey, I'm not blaming anyone).

FOO MANE PADME HUM