Re: [postgresql-l] Installing postgreSQL on Fedora Core 6 (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua Kramer
Subject Re: [postgresql-l] Installing postgreSQL on Fedora Core 6 (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
All,

I'm forwarding this from another list; technically it's a bugs or
interfaces question, but someone is recommending an old version of PG
because of a percieved deficiency in interfaces supporitng the 8.2
protocol.  I thought the protocol itself was unchanged since 7x?  Take a
look and see what you think.

Thanks,
-J

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Todd Lewis via postgresql-l <postgresql-l@Groups.ITtoolbox.com>
To: josh@globalherald.net
Subject: Re: [postgresql-l] Installing postgreSQL on Fedora Core 6

//*-------------------------------------------------------------
  What factors have influenced your BI & ETL purchasing decisions?
Share your thoughts: http://www.ittoolbox.com/da/502823
-------------------------------------------------------------*//

I'd
download the source and compile it instead of using the distribution that comes
with FC6. The distribution that comes with FC6 is a base generic compilation and
may not meet your needs in this project.

http://www.postgresql.org/

I'd
recommend the 8.1.x branch. the 8.2.x branch has introduced some nice
functionality, but program interfaces like php, perl, etc have not updated themselves to take advantage of some of
thesefeatures. I know the perl DBI module has connection issues since they are still trying to be compatible with older
versionsof postgres.

This is straight out of the INSTALL for postgre. The short version.

./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

I usually use at least compiling with perl. Perl is good for your back end maintenance scripts that you need to run if
youwant to keep your performance levels up on the DB.
./configure --with-perl

You'll have to make changes to apache configuration files to include php as a module.