Re: Joining the OSA - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Joining the OSA
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") writes:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> That's a heck of a lot of publicity we'd give them including adding a logo to our otherwise logo-free homepage. What
exactlydo we gain from this?
>> Also, given all the various printed materials produced by different
>> regional branches of the project, who will ensure everything gets
>> the logos etc?
>> Regards, Dave
>
> I think our official response should be:
>
> You are requiring quite a bit from us for you. What are you going to
> do for us in return?

Of course, contracts are commonly a two way street.  I agree that
there seems to be rather a lot required of a "community" organization
member.  Too much, I think, to commit to.

That doesn't mean that the "default" is what we would necessarily wind
up agreeing to.  It would be worth asking nicely if some of those
requirements could be specifically relaxed/removed.

My local LUG ran into a similar sort of thing last year when
negotiating a booth at a conference; the rules required things we
could not legally provide, so we arranged to change the arrangements
to something more suitable.

It seems to me that it's worth asking before ruling anything out.  The
OSA publicity requirements seem virtually unreasonable, and that may
well mean that if we "push back," they'll fall back to something that
we *would* be able to accept...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/emacs.html