Re: Joining the OSA - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Joining the OSA
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andy,
>
>> Personally, folks, I don't think it's that big a deal to agree to join,
>> assuming the community generally supports the goals of the OSA. There's no
>> requirement for specific activities, and no one would get down on an
>> all-volunteer community for being relatively passive. All members (and
>> Friends) do what they can.
>
> Well, given the nature of our community it's pretty hard to speak for all
> members.  And the OSA agreement, at least on paper, requires everyone in
> PostgreSQL to be enthusiastic about the OSA, which full consensus I can't
> imagine getting.

Andy,

I believe the goals of the OSA are good ones. However there are some
pretty large, specific problems with the way OSA is designed.

• Express public support for the OSA and the OSA website. In support of
        this, all members are required to do the following:
            o Adding a "Member of OSA" mention to all press release
boilerplate
            o Featuring the OSA logo and a link to the OSA website on
your home page
            o Including the OSA member logo on printed collateral as
appropriate

Honestly, who is the OSA to demand this type of compensation? Which is
what it really is. The OSA is saying, "Hey, we are this good and because
of that you will pay us by providing free advertising."

I understand that EDB is offering to handle a lot of this, the problem
is it isn't EDB that is joining it is PostgreSQL via SPI.

I appreciate OSA willing to let us join. I appreciate what they are
trying to do in general. As a contributor, I could not support an action
that has PostgreSQL joining OSA.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/