Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henk - CityWEB
Subject Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Henka" <henka@cityweb.co.za> writes:
> > I happened to notice this error in the log when my application was refused
> > a db connection (quite unexpectedly):
>
> > PANIC:  corrupted item pointer: offset = 3308, size = 28
> > LOG:  autovacuum process (PID 18165) was terminated by signal 6
>
> FWIW, the only occurrences of that specific message text are in
> PageIndexTupleDelete and PageIndexMultiDelete, so you can be pretty sure
> that this is just a corrupted-index problem.  Once you've identified
> which table has the problem, a REINDEX should fix it.
>
> I concur with the other comments that a crash with fsync off might well
> have allowed more corruption than just this to sneak in, though :-(

Thanks for the comments, Tom.  I've started the reindex on the offending
index, so let's see how it goes.

I think once that's done, and I'm able to dump-all without error, I'll
upgrade to 8.2.4 and perform a restore.  That process should
uncover any other funnies.

Regards
Henry