Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer"
Date
Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer"  (Henk - CityWEB <henka@cityweb.co.za>)
List pgsql-general
"Henka" <henka@cityweb.co.za> writes:
> I happened to notice this error in the log when my application was refused
> a db connection (quite unexpectedly):

> PANIC:  corrupted item pointer: offset = 3308, size = 28
> LOG:  autovacuum process (PID 18165) was terminated by signal 6

FWIW, the only occurrences of that specific message text are in
PageIndexTupleDelete and PageIndexMultiDelete, so you can be pretty sure
that this is just a corrupted-index problem.  Once you've identified
which table has the problem, a REINDEX should fix it.

I concur with the other comments that a crash with fsync off might well
have allowed more corruption than just this to sneak in, though :-(

            regards, tom lane