Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henk - CityWEB
Subject Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer"
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Gregory Stark wrote:
> Ugh. The worst part is that you won't even know that there's anything wrong
> with your data. I would actually suggest that if you run with fsync off and
> have a power failure or kernel crash you should just immediately restore from
> your last backup and not risk running with the possibly corrupt database.
>
> Honestly this seems like a weird error to occur as a result of crashing with
> fsync off but anything's possible. More likely is you have records that you
> have partial transactions in your database, ie, records which were inserted or
> deleted in a transaction but missing other records that were inserted or
> deleted in the same transaction.
>
> You could probably fix this particular problem by reindexing the corrupted
> index. But you may never know if some of the data is incorrect.

Thanks, Greg.  Luckily the data is for internal/behind-the-scenes
use only, with no customer access.  So the situation isn't dire.

I can't wait to get a decent master/multi-slave setup going where I can
turn fsync on and still get semi-decent performance...

Regards
Henry