Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From alex@pilosoft.com
Subject Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
Date
Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> BTW, I would like to get these capabilities into core plperl.
There is already spi_exec_query in pl/perl for quick and dirty DB access
for this purpose, no?

> There are some obstacles to overcome. For example:
>
> . not every perl installation has DBI
Sure - I suppose if you don't have DBI, you would use spi_exec_query, no?

> . how to turn it on for trusted plperl
Eh, you don't turn it on. You install the package and it works ;)

> . DBD::PgSPI is covered by GPL, which means it can't be used in the core
> distribution of postgres - we'd have to reinvent it in a clean room fashion.
Actually, its both GPL and Artistic license - identical to DBD::Pg (where
most of the code is taken from).

I don't think this needs to be in core distribution - much like DBD::Pg
doesn't need to be there either...

-alex