Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
Date
List pgsql-hackers

alex@pilosoft.com wrote:

>>. DBD::PgSPI is covered by GPL, which means it can't be used in the core
>>distribution of postgres - we'd have to reinvent it in a clean room fashion.
>>

>Actually, its both GPL and Artistic license - identical to DBD::Pg (where
>most of the code is taken from).
>
>I don't think this needs to be in core distribution - much like DBD::Pg
>doesn't need to be there either...

I disagree. The crucial difference is that DBD::Pg is a client side
library and plperl is not.

I would like all perl programmers to be able to use the same (or
similar) idioms on both the client side and the server side. (Just as
one can use JDBC idioms in PL/Java, iirc). So I want a DBI handle to be
available in core plperl if possible.

cheers

andrew