Re: Function parameter names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: Function parameter names
Date
Re: Function parameter names  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> > However, in the parser I use IDENT to get the parameter names and already
> > in the lexer the IDENT tokens are truncated to length NAMEDATALEN.
>
> Right.  What's the problem?

It's strange to allow identifiers to be of any length in the system table
when there is no way to create it using normal syntax. The parser accepts
this kind of input:

CREATE FUNCTION foo (x int) RETURNS int AS ...

and the identifier x (as all identifiers) can not be too long. Still, one
can create the function and update the system table by hand to change x to
a longer name. Doesn't that sound ugly to you?

It's not a technical problem, but a matter of style. Everything works as
it is now, but works is not always enough.

--
/Dennis