Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark writes:

> This sounds like you want to completely reimplement all of the locale handling
> provided by the OS? That seems like a dead-end approach to me. There's no way
> your handling will ever be as complete or as well optimized as some OS's.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it will be more complete.  About the
optimization, we'll have to see.

> Better to find ways to use the OS gettext and locale handling on platforms
> that provide good interfaces.

There are no such platforms to my knowledge.  The exception is some
version of glibc that provides undocumented interfaces to functionality
that is rumoured to do something that may or may not be relevant to what
we're doing.

> On platforms that don't provide good interfaces either don't support the
> features or use some third party library to provide a good
> implementation.

There are no such libraries.  I keep hearing ICU, but that is much too
bloated.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net