Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut kirjutas T, 25.11.2003 kell 21:13:
> Greg Stark writes:
>
> > This sounds like you want to completely reimplement all of the locale handling
> > provided by the OS? That seems like a dead-end approach to me. There's no way
> > your handling will ever be as complete or as well optimized as some OS's.
>
> Actually, I'm pretty sure it will be more complete.  About the
> optimization, we'll have to see.
>
> > Better to find ways to use the OS gettext and locale handling on platforms
> > that provide good interfaces.
>
> There are no such platforms to my knowledge.

Unless you consider ICU (http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/) as a
"platform" ;)

We will hardly ever be more complete than it.

> There are no such libraries.  I keep hearing ICU, but that is much too
> bloated.

At least it is kind of "standard" and also something what will be
maintained for foreseeable future, it also has a compatible license and
is available on all platforms of interest to postgresql.

And I am not sure that this "bloat" will affect us too much unless we
want to start maintaining a parallel copy - glibc is much more bloated
than ICU .

But if you insist on rolling your own library, you can always use ICU to
write regression test to compare yours with ...

Hannu