Re: PSQL anc compile errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PSQL anc compile errors
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Tielman J de Villiers <tjdevil@bondnet.co.za> writes:
> > I refer to previous questions/answers with regards to psql not displaying
> > the prompt correctly (ie, as => and NOT =#) and the up/down arrows not
> > working:

> On the other hand, if the up arrow doesn't bring back history, that
> definitely suggests missing or broken libreadline support.  You should
> check whether the shared library loader is loading the right version of
> libreadline.

Try ldd(1) over the psql executable. If libreadline doesn't show up, it
isn't compiled to support it. If it was compiled with libreadline
support, it wouldn't even load if it couldn't find it at runtime.

> (I'm not on a Linux box right now, but IIRC there's some
> configuration file in /etc that controls its search path, and you have
> to update the cached search results after changing the config, too...
> Our installation instructions cover this, I think.)

That'd be /etc/ld.so.conf, and you can reload cached results by means of
ldconfig(8).

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]atentus.com>)
"La gente vulgar solo piensa en pasar el tiempo;