Re: PSQL anc compile errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PSQL anc compile errors
Date
List pgsql-general
Tielman J de Villiers <tjdevil@bondnet.co.za> writes:
> I refer to previous questions/answers with regards to psql not displaying
> the prompt correctly (ie, as => and NOT =#) and the up/down arrows not
> working:

The prompt is not related to libreadline.  It's set by psql itself based
on whether psql thinks you are logged in as a superuser.  If psql is
getting the wrong answer on that, I'd be interested to see details of
your pg_user entries --- but don't blame libreadline.

On the other hand, if the up arrow doesn't bring back history, that
definitely suggests missing or broken libreadline support.  You should
check whether the shared library loader is loading the right version of
libreadline.  (I'm not on a Linux box right now, but IIRC there's some
configuration file in /etc that controls its search path, and you have
to update the cached search results after changing the config, too...
Our installation instructions cover this, I think.)

            regards, tom lane