Re: MySQL treads belong else where. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: MySQL treads belong else where.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Guy Fraser wrote:

> I would appreciate it if the MySQL zealots with troglodytical
> mentalities would confine themselves to there own mailing list.

Er?  Man, everybody just has to chime in with their $0.02.  Let the
moderators handle it, oh flaming sword o' justice.

> The odd comparison is OK but the flame wars are a waste of storage.

Which, while an amusing read, also point out actual flaws in Postgres
that we could stand fixing.  People do bitch without a reason, but
the do it more often when they have something to bitch about.

Me, I was just being devil's advocate.  Looks like not everyone
caught that.  Oh well.

> PS If you don't understand any of these words use a dictionary to find
> out what they mean. Don't just presume they are insults.

Now, now.  You had me going for a while, but you have just instantly
turned what may have been a mildly informative post into a pathetic
flame.  I mean, really.  What was that about troglodytical mentalities?

For the most part, I agree with you.

For everyone else who doesn't get it.  Upgrade.  Upgrade now, upgrade
quickly, and upgrade until you can't upgrade anymore.  Postgres 7.1
is not the postgres of yesteryear.  Postgres has evolved past the horrid
thing MySQL compared itself to.  The best part is that 7.2 will be
even better.

The point here is to know postgres's flaws.  Ignore the flames, and
upgrade.  The more people using the newer versions, the better the
next one will be.

C'mon, kiss a developer today!

--
| Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Programmer              |