Re: --enable-syslog and Solaris 7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: --enable-syslog and Solaris 7
Date
List pgsql-general
* Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.com> [010830 09:27]:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:07:32AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > * Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.com> [010830 08:54]:
>
> > Any chance syslogd is running up against a file limit of some kind to
> > get the file open?
>
> I can't see what; this is on a little test box, and nothing else is
> running.
>
> > And the file exists and has the correct permissions?
>
> In desperation, I've opened it up completely, still with no joy:
>
> -rwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          0 Aug 30 08:53 pg.log
>
> I also had it owned by postgres at one point.  Anyway, I don't think
> it can be a file problem, because running syslogd with debug on
> doesn't show anything coming _in_ from postgres (unless I kill the
> server with a client connected, because that throws a FATAL exception
> which is caught).  That suggests to me it must have something to do
> with the facility that postgres is sending to, or my config file.
> I'm really stumped.
>
> > I do know the syslog code works, I use it heavily on my
> > UnixWare/ÓpenUNIX and FreeBSD boxen.
>
> I've used it elsewhere, too, which is why I'm so puzzled.
What about /dev/log or other means of talking from PG to the Daemon?
I.E. is there another resource that is missing.  I haven't used
Solaris in detail in a couple of years, so I'm not sure what pieces
need to be there for PG to talk to the syslogd...

LER