Re: Permissions not working - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Permissions not working
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Pallav Kalva wrote:

> Hi ,
>
>     I am having some problems with setting up permissions in Postgres. I
> have a database for ex: 'ups' and it was owned previously by
> 'postgres(superuser)' but now i have changed the ownership to new user
> 'ups' all the tables are owned by these user 'ups'. This database doesnt
> have any schemas except for 'Public'. I have created another user lets
> say 'test' and i didnt give 'test' user any permissions to access the
> tables owned by 'ups' but still when i login to 'ups' database as  psql
> ups  test and run a select on the  tables owned by 'ups' database  it
> goes through.
>    I dont want  user 'test' to access any tables from the 'ups'
> database, i tried revoking permissions it still doesnt work. Can anyone
> tell me what is wrong here ?

Log in as the superuser (usually postgres) and see what you get from this
query:

select usesuper from pg_shadow where usename='test';

if usesuper is t, then test is a superuser and can do anything he wants.
You need to issue the command:

alter user test with nocreateuser;

If that isn't the problem, let us know.