Re: BLOB problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: BLOB problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Rens Admiraal <postgresnews@etraned.nl> writes:
> > upload te file using pg_lo_import() (PHP function). Everything works
> > fine, fast, and I was really glad with it, till I found out that my
> > database is rapadly growing. With only 20 images the database has a size
> > of 65 MB !!!
>
> Hard to tell much from that statement.  I'd suggest looking into the
> $PGDATA directory tree to find out which files are taking up the bulk of
> the space --- with that info we can give you some advice.

Also note, Rens, that a freshly initdb'd database ain't tiny to start
with.  template0 and template1 take up about 4 megs each, and each fresh,
"empty" database another 4 or so.  This is on my workstation.  Plus, each
transaction log is 16 megs or larger if you've reconfigured for more
checkpoints.

So, if you have two empty databases, plus two transactions logs, that'll
add up to 4*4 meg + 2*16 meg for a total of 3*16 or 48 Meg.  Before
importing any data.