Re: Specifying a index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Specifying a index
Date
List pgsql-general
lima_caetano@yahoo.com.br (Marcio Caetano) writes:
> 1- I create a table named TBA with columns ( A int , B char(10) )
> 2- I create an B-Tree index named IDXA using the column A
> 3- I create an GIST (or other) index named IDXB using the column A

> Is it possible specify which index (IDXA or IDXB) my SELECT will use in a query ?

No, not directly, but why would you create duplicate indexes?  It would
be reasonable to have two indexes on the same column if they supported
different operator classes, but in that case the operator used in a
particular query would determine which index is applicable.

            regards, tom lane