Re: Postgresql performance on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Postgresql performance on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> The only other idea I can think of is that there's some weird effect in
> the locking code (which only shows up with lots of concurrent backends)
> such that would-be lockers repeatedly fail and sleep when they should
> have gotten the lock.  If you can figure out how to tell the difference
> between a backend waiting for disk I/O and one waiting for a semaphore
> or sleeping, it'd be interesting to see what the majority of the
> backends are doing.

I was thinking along the lines of it being something like the old Linux
kernel had with apache and other programs with waking all the processes.
It could be that something about Solaris is meaning that every backend
process, no matter how idle they are, get "touched" every time something
is done.  Just guessing.