Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Keith Bottner
Subject Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
FYI, I believe that XFS will be included in the 2.6 kernel.

Keith Bottner
kbottner@istation.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Andrew
Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 11:55 AM
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:33:15PM -0500, Jeffrey D. Brower wrote:
> What is the URL of that article?  I understood that ext2 was faster
> with PG and so I went to a lot of trouble of creating an ext2
> partition just for PG and gave up the journalling to do that.
> Something about double effort since PG already does a lot of that.

I don't know how ext3 could be faster than ext2, since it has to do more
work.

But ext2 is not crash-safe.  So your data could well be hosed if you
come back from a crash on ext2.

Actually, I have my doubts about _any_ of the journaling filesystems for
Linux: ext3 has a reputation for being slow if you journal in the
real-safe mode, and there have been so many unrepeatable reiserfs
problem reports that I'm loathe to use it for real systems.  I had
exceptionally good experiences with xfs when I was admining SGI boxes,
but that's not part of the standard Linux kernel distribution, and with
no idea why, I think my managers would get grumpy with me for using it.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110