Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeffrey W. Baker
Subject Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

> Just to keep things in perspective, how large are your current databases, and
> what do you or the company consider to be a signficant length of time?  Right
> now I have a development database with just a few thousand records of test data,
> and vacuum takes just a very few seconds a day.  I think I recall hearing on
> this list of it taking a minute or three for databases several gigabytes in
> size.  For some sites this would be tolerable, for others it wouldn't.

The runtime seems to be dependent on what hind of activity you do.  If you
frequently rollback inserts, vacuum seems to take longer.  Say, a database
with 1m records which endures 5m inserts + rollback is going to take a
while to vacuum.

Just my informal observations, not based on structured testing.

-jwb