Conditional Adding to a Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glenn Sullivan
Subject Conditional Adding to a Table
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

I need to check a table to see if an item already exist in the table.
It if does not, then I want to add it.  Unfortunately, multiple processes
(Solaris system) can be running at the same time.  Sometimes, one process
checks to see if an item exist and it does not. At the same time another
process checks to see if the same item exist and it does not.  Then both,
add the item to the table.  This is, of course, not what I want.

I cannot seem to figure out how to do a conditional test to do something
like this.  If I could, then the whole operation could fit in one transaction
with locking.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Glenn