Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wsheldah@lexmark.com
Subject Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2
Date
Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2  (Erwin Lansing <erwin@lansing.dk>)
List pgsql-general

Just to keep things in perspective, how large are your current databases, and
what do you or the company consider to be a signficant length of time?  Right
now I have a development database with just a few thousand records of test data,
and vacuum takes just a very few seconds a day.  I think I recall hearing on
this list of it taking a minute or three for databases several gigabytes in
size.  For some sites this would be tolerable, for others it wouldn't.

I'm also interested to hear what the future holds for vacuum.  If nothing else,
it couldn't hurt postgresql's public relations.  :-)

--Wes Sheldahl

Ian Barwick <SUNGLASSESbarwick%gmx.net@interlock.lexmark.com> on 10/10/2001
07:27:56 AM