Re: Changing path to /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 file and the .lock file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From 100.179370@germanynet.de (Martin Jacobs)
Subject Re: Changing path to /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 file and the .lock file
Date
List pgsql-general
On 29 May 2001, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Is it possible to have postgres create the Unix socket in a directory
> other than /tmp?  I'm having a problem with my /tmp cleaner cron job
> on Solaris 8.

Hi Arcady,

AFAIK, in PG 7.1 this can be changed. But I had a similar
problem under SuSE Linux. To solve it I added a cron job which
did a touch on this entry. My SuSE installation (based on 5.3)
uses a special shell file for daily cron jobs. This is
splitted in a SuSE specific and a local variant. In the latter
(/root/bin/cron.daily.local) I added

#
# Prevent cron.daily from deleting postmasters socket files:
#
if [ "$START_POSTGRES" = yes ] ; then
   for TMP_DIR in $TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR ; do
       find $TMP_DIR/. -type s -name .\*PGSQL.\* -exec /usr/bin/touch {} \;
   done
fi

and everything is fine now.

Regards

Martin

--
Dipl-Ing. Martin Jacobs * Windsbach * Germany
Registered Linux User #87175, http://counter.li.org/