Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/uti ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/uti ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> 1. createlang should no longer insert libdir or dlsuffix into the
> function declarations it makes (so building createlang from
> createlang.sh won't be necessary anymore).

createlang tries to be helpful by trying test -f $the_file first, to guard
against attempts to load PL/Tcl when no Tcl support was configured.  This
approach has a few other subtle flaws:  it requires createlang to be run
on the server machine and under the same user account as the server.
Maybe we could devise another way to determine gracefully whether a given
PL is installed.

> 2. Likewise for CREATE FUNCTION commands in regress tests.

The shared objects used in the regression test are not located relative to
the $libdir.  Some for the various tutorials, examples.

> 3. CREATE FUNCTION documentation should now recommend using relative
> path and omitting suffix, rather than using full absolute pathname.

Details in the Programmer's Guide now.