Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/uti ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/uti ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> createlang tries to be helpful by trying test -f $the_file first, to guard
> against attempts to load PL/Tcl when no Tcl support was configured.  This
> approach has a few other subtle flaws:  it requires createlang to be run
> on the server machine and under the same user account as the server.
> Maybe we could devise another way to determine gracefully whether a given
> PL is installed.

Try eliminating the test entirely.  CREATE FUNCTION now checks to make
sure that it can find the specified library (and that the named function
exists therein), so as long as createlang aborts on CREATE FUNCTION
failure, I see no need for a separate test.

>> 2. Likewise for CREATE FUNCTION commands in regress tests.

> The shared objects used in the regression test are not located relative to
> the $libdir.  Some for the various tutorials, examples.

Duh.  Never mind that then ...