Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kovacs Zoltan
Subject Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange
Date
Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Kovacs Zoltan writes:
>
> > running "make update-po" in backend/po/ I'm always getting very short .po
> > files and the .pot file is also about 7K. It seems to be the fact that
> > xgettext gets text only from postgres.c and postmaster.c. What's the
> > problem? Version: beta3 and beta5 (I didn't try beta4 but it's certainly
> > the same).
>
> Since the postgres.pot file has nearly 400 dependency files (all backend
> source files), it is currently handled in an odd way.  Observe this:
>
> peter ~/pgsql/src/backend/po$ make init-po
> find ./.. -name '*.c' -print >gettext-files
> xgettext --foreign-user -ctranslator -D . -n -kelog:2 -kpostmaster_error -f gettext-files
> mv messages.po postgres.pot
>
> If the "find" somehow messes up you will get an incomplete .pot file.
> Also note that there are no prerequisites declared for the file
> "gettext-files".  That is, if it's wrong or outdated you need to remove it
> first.
>
> Suggestions for improvement welcome.

I'm afraid the problem is that there are too few `gettext(...)'s in the
whole code in backend/. The file "gettext-files" is quite big: 10106 bytes
after each run of "make". I got the same result with "make init-po" and
"make update-po" (after "make maintainer-clean", of course). Perhaps the
original (>250K) .pot file was created with a different method...?

An example: parser/parse_agg.c contains an elog error at line 111 without
any gettext call. In opposite, postmaster/postmaster.c at line 290
contains an fprintf with a gettext call. Why the difference? Of course,
the second string will appear in postgres.pot and the first one
won't. File "gettext-files" contains both file.

Unfortunately this is only the first day I started to read the docs about
gettext, sorry...

TIA, Zoltan

--                         Kov\'acs, Zolt\'an                        kovacsz@pc10.radnoti-szeged.sulinet.hu
          http://www.math.u-szeged.hu/~kovzol                        ftp://pc10.radnoti-szeged.sulinet.hu/home/kovacsz