Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange
Date
Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Kovacs Zoltan writes:

> running "make update-po" in backend/po/ I'm always getting very short .po
> files and the .pot file is also about 7K. It seems to be the fact that
> xgettext gets text only from postgres.c and postmaster.c. What's the
> problem? Version: beta3 and beta5 (I didn't try beta4 but it's certainly
> the same).

Since the postgres.pot file has nearly 400 dependency files (all backend
source files), it is currently handled in an odd way.  Observe this:

peter ~/pgsql/src/backend/po$ make init-po
find ./.. -name '*.c' -print >gettext-files
xgettext --foreign-user -ctranslator -D . -n -kelog:2 -kpostmaster_error -f gettext-files
mv messages.po postgres.pot

If the "find" somehow messes up you will get an incomplete .pot file.
Also note that there are no prerequisites declared for the file
"gettext-files".  That is, if it's wrong or outdated you need to remove it
first.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net