Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Tong
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS
Date
List pgsql-general
> > I understand, and I'm not picking on a specific person here. I know that's
> > the way it is. Perhaps I'm spoiled by other lists.
>
>     Like?  I find the signal-noise ratio here to be very high, as
> well as anwered *generally* very quickly and accurately compared to other
> lists...

Oh, the RedHat list comes to mind. I get some 200 messages a day off that
one and I depend on the subject line to pick out the threads. Most of the
time the archive is searchable too, which really helps.

> > Yes. As I said before, I've read everything I can find. That doesn't mean
> > it all made sense at first to me or that there aren't holes. This is my
> > first foray into SQL databases and database administration and I'm certain
> > I'm missing all sorts of details.
>
>     Suggestion: provide feedback on what doesn't make sense or appears
> to be missing...

I'm keeping a journal. Here's a trend...

The docs say in a paragraph of text use "createuser" to create a new
postgres user. Questions which came to my mind, and which I have
mostly resolved all had to do with finding what is a good convention
for creating these users and what types of access require a user? Does a
person connecting via MS Access need to be a user. Can multiple people
share and is that a good idea? Is it a good idea to use the same name as
the login name, or is there a reason to use another name? Oddly enough,
the single most time consuming thing to figure out was that there was an
account on my system called "postgres" which had to be used to issue the
command.

I'm using the PostgreSQL package which was nicely organized, configured,
and installed by Red Hat via an RPM file (software package) which was set
up by somebody - I haven't looked for the name yet. Anyways, it has become
apparent to me if I would have done all the installation myself I would
probably have learned all this stuff. The docs which came with the RPM are
a concatenation of every FAQ dealing with PostgreSQL essentially flooding
me with information 99% of which I'm not ready for and some of which is
no longer valid. The web stuff is easier to use but far more general.

I'm sad to say I know a number of my questions are probably not
appropriate for this list and certainly aren't exciting to you guys who
probably want to be asked wonderfully complex SQL questions. I hope to be
able to pose those questions someday. In the meantime, I'll be jumping for
joy when my C++ program succeeds in using LIBPQ to retrieve some data from
my measly one-table database. And it will certainly be time for a brew
when the guy downstairs using MS Access can work with that poor little
table as well.

This is fun, however, and I'm glad work has presented me with a break long
enough to play with it.

Bruce Tong
Systems Programmer
Electronic Vision / FITNE