language war - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject language war
Date
List pgsql-general
> Well, I have used Perl for a couple of thousand-lines-projects and while
> I can't say it's wonderful, it's usable as far as one is strict (i.e.
> code for strict and warnings), and use implicit things as less as
> possible.  If you abstract things the right way it's not the nightmare

Actually, Perl is wonderful for several classes of programs.  I wrote a
web-based application in Perl that probably would have been many times as
long in any other language.  On top of that, I got a full SOAP API with
just a 100-line wrapper script.

Perl has really powerful OO features, and makes it really easy to do
things that you only wish you could do in other languages.  It is
especially useful when you need to come up with special-purpose templating
languages.

It's RegExp language is also excellent. While you can get PCRE in other
languages, Perl having it built-in to the language makes them much easier
to use.

Jon