Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 05:18:17PM -0700, Jay O'Connor wrote:

> Personally, I would never use Perl for anything over about one hundred
> lines and about one developer if I had any say in the matter.  Takeing
> Perl and mixing Presentation (HTML) with Business Logic (embedded
> scripts) wihich seems to be PHPs claim to fame just really sits wrong
> with my software design mentatiliy

Well, I have used Perl for a couple of thousand-lines-projects and while
I can't say it's wonderful, it's usable as far as one is strict (i.e.
code for strict and warnings), and use implicit things as less as
possible.  If you abstract things the right way it's not the nightmare
you think it is.  Agreed, the language grants you the power to do it
"the wrong way" (write-only language), but I distrust anything that
takes that power away (may I say Java?).

PHP on the other hand, while I don't quite like it, is not also the
nightmare you make of it.  You are of course not forced to embed HTML in
the logic -- in these days, doing so is folly.  Most [sane] people uses
templates.  Same with Perl.

Python may be better, but keep in mind that it _also_ grants you the
power to do thing the wrong way.  In fact, a colleague of mine is right
now ranting about a specific project, saying that he will have to write
it almost completely from scratch to be able to extract certains parts
of the functionality -- the author apparently did not abstract them
correctly.  I have yet to use Python much, but the little I have seen I
like.

Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".
No dijo "Hello New Jersey\n", ni "Hello USA\n".