Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jay O'Connor
Subject Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL  (merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz))
List pgsql-general
 > >If you need more power IMO Python is the way to go.

 > I am not that familiar with pything, not to get off topic here but
what you
 >can do in python that you can't do in PHP?

Well if they are both Turing complete, arguably not much :)

It's not the 'what' it's the 'how'  I'm equating Perl with PHP much in
this because what little I've seen of PHP it looks a lot like Perl to
me; more simularity between the two then between either and Python

Python has a much simpler and more elegant object-class infrastructure
than Perl. It's integrated better unto the natural feel of the
language.  It's easier to use (especially developing new classes) and
easier to read and that makes it easier to build large (compliacted,
large number of classes, etc..) programs in it.

Python also reads more obviously, in that it doesn't have a lot of
'default context' ($_) and 'scalar context versus array context' and
cute shortcuts and stuff floating around, which makes it easier to read,
and more importantly easier for teams to read.  This, again, affects the
ability to build large (complex) programs because it's easier for teams
of developers to work together on the same code base and understand what
each other is doing.

A nit of mine is languages that insist on using $ and @ and other
special symbols for variable names.  That's great for inline striing
substitution but really annoying in a couple thousand lines of code with
lots of variables

Personally, I would never use Perl for anything over about one hundred
lines and about one developer if I had any say in the matter.  Takeing
Perl and mixing Presentation (HTML) with Business Logic (embedded
scripts) wihich seems to be PHPs claim to fame just really sits wrong
with my software design mentatiliy