Re: inheritance help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: inheritance help
Date
List pgsql-general
Here's the way I handle it - and it works in other DBs as well:

create sequence objects;

create table X (object_id int8 not null default nextval('objects') primary

create table Y (object_id int8 not null default nextval('objects') primary

create table lastmods (object int8 not null, created_by int8, created_date
timestamp, last_modified_by int8, last_modified_date int8);

You can use object as a foreign key to all of your tables.  Unfortunately,
unless you add several triggers and another table, you can't get foreign
key constraints.

Jon