Re: RPM RH9.0 conflict with unixODBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sander Steffann
Subject Re: RPM RH9.0 conflict with unixODBC
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

> > this are the rpm for 9.0:
> > 3768418 Nov 24 10:07 postgresql-7.4-0.3PGDG.i386.rpm
>
> > and this for rhas-2.1:
> > 2080872 Nov 24 10:08 postgresql-7.4-0.3PGDG.i386.rpm
>
> > how you can see the sizes are completely different.
> > Am I missing something ?
>
> Compiler version and flags.  Although that is a substantial difference.
The
> rhas-2.1 compiler is the Red Hat gcc 2.96, and the RH9 compiler is gcc 3.
> Apparently gcc 3 generates large code.  Sander, can you verify this, since
> you built both of these?

The file sizes are correct. I can't explain the huge difference though...
They both contain the same files, and are built from the same specfile. The
only difference between the build commands is that the RedHat 9 RPMs are
built with --define 'build89 1', and the RHEL RPMs are built with --define
'build7x 1' and --define 'plperl 0'. The exclusion of plperl shouldn't make
a difference in this RPM, only in the postgresql-pl RPM...

In short: both filesizes are correct, and I can't explain it :(
Sander.