inheritance help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim McNeely
Subject inheritance help
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm trying some experiments with PostgreSQL 7.3.4 with inheritance.

What I read is that if you implement triggers on a parent table, those
same triggers won't fire if you add records to a child table. However,
I tried it, and they did indeed fire, and worked perfectly. Same
sources said that indexes (indices??) wouldn't work right. Is that true?

What I'm trying to do is make the primary key id field reside in a base
table, which basically all the tables inherit. That way every row in
the database gets a unique id, and I only have to implement the key,
and the mod time/user creation time/user fields once.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been down the road with this, and can
tell me what might be wrong with this kind of a structure.

TIA

Jim McNeely
New Century Data
jim@newcenturydata.com