Re: [GENERAL] pgbench not setting scale size correctly? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pgbench not setting scale size correctly?
Date
Re: [GENERAL] pgbench not setting scale size correctly?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 7 May 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
>>> The way the option parsing code is done would make complaining in the case
>>> where your parameter is ignored a bit of a contortion.
>>
>> Yeah.  But couldn't we have that part issue a warning if -s had been set
>> on the command line?
>
> Patch attached that issues a warning.

Turns out it wasn't so contorted.  Updated patch attached that only warns
in the exact cases where the setting is ignored, and the warning says how
it's actually setting the scale.  I tested all the run types and it
correctly complains only when warranted, samples:

$ ./pgbench -s 200 -i pgbench
creating tables...
10000 tuples done. ...

$ ./pgbench -s 100 pgbench
Scale setting ignored by standard tests, using database branch count
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 200 ...

$ ./pgbench -s 100 -f select.sql pgbench
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: Custom query
scaling factor: 100 ...

Attachment