Re: [NOVICE] encoding problems - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [NOVICE] encoding problems
Date
List pgsql-patches
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > No, we don't change behaviors in back branches unless we get lots of
> > complaints, and we haven't in this case.
>
> I suspect it's annoying for a lot of people, just not annoying enough
> to make them complain about it.
>
> I understand your point of view but I really think it's more a
> regression fix than a behavior change.
>
> That said, if nobody is following me on this one, I'll live with it -
> it's just annoying, not blocking.

If I can get other hackers to say we should backpatch we can consider
it.

Let me add though that as the patch is coded it is not the same as 8.2,
but better, so it is hard to say we should actually improve 8.3 over
8.2 in a minor release.  As you can see 8.3.X  behavior will not match
8.3 and that might be worse than just keeping it constant until 8.4.