Re: [HACKERS] regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] regression tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

>     I  know  that  it's  the  new  psql output format why all the
>     regression tests currently fail. But I think we are  in  this
>     state  for  a  little too long now. With the latest CVS I got

As I mentioned before: use the old psql for regression tests and/or just
run the regression tests once with the old one and once with the new one
and make those results the new reference. (Maybe I'm oversimplifying here,
though.)

Once again this thought also: How about running the regression tests on a
single user postgres backend directly? That way you don't rely on some
obscure frontend and some client library which might change soon, too.
Also you have more control over internals. Finally, you could easily run
the regression tests on an uninstalled build. Think ./configure; make;
make check; make install. Or am I way out there now?

>     I see a little problem with checking if the output  is  still
>     O.K.  too.   It  seems  that  psql  now buffers all the query
>     result messages until a SELECT is done. So if the  regression
>     input  contains only INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements, all the

Huh? psql doesn't buffer anything. Could you please elaborate on this
and/or give me an example? I never heard of that one and I thought Bruce
was a really thorough tester . . .