Re: Implementing setQueryTimeout() - round 2 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Implementing setQueryTimeout() - round 2
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Add 4 new connection parameters, associated connection / statement values and
> accessors on the postgresql extension interfaces:
>
> - softQueryTimeout: 0=disabled, >0 = timeout in ms, default 0
> - hardQueryTimeout: 0=disabled, >0 = timeout in ms, default 0
> - softQueryMargin: -1=disabled, >=0 = margin in ms, default 0
> - hardQueryMargin: -1=disabled, >=0 = margin in ms, default 60s
>
> Any comments on this iteration? Too configurable? Not configurable enough?
> Are the defaults sensible?

Sounds too configurable.  I don't understand the use case for
softQueryMargin at all right now.  Since hardQueryTimeout +
hardQueryMargin should be > softQueryTimeout + softQueryMargin for a
reasonable configuration, we don't need all these parameters. Don't you
just want:

1) defaultQueryTimeout: 0=disabled, >0 timeout in ms
2) hardTimeoutMargin: -1 disabled, >=0 hard timeout above query timeout

Kris Jurka