Re: What the heck is happening here? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: What the heck is happening here?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Paul Tomblin wrote:

> Quoting Alex Pilosov (alex@pilosoft.com):
> > In mod_perl case, make sure that your stuff does not try to establish
> > connections on startup, and only does that (using ApacheDBI to cache
> > connections) when the page is requested.
>
> Oh oh.  I *am* doing that - I make a connection to grab some stuff right
> at start up, and keep that $conn for all the pages.  Is there a good
> example of using ApacheDBI to cache connections using Pg.pm I can look at?

Don't do it. If you _must_ get some stuff on startup, close the conn after
you are done. See mod_perl references for examples on using of ApacheDBI
(mostly its just 'use ApacheDBI' vs 'use DBI') and no, you cannot use Pg
(the oldstyle, libpq-alike) interface with ApacheDBI, you must use
DBD::Pg.

> > Also, it is possible that every day some script tries to rotate logs and
> > SIGHUPs the httpd. mod_perl may do strange stuff on restart. Try manually
> > sending HUP to server and see what happens.
>
> Actually, sending HUP to all the httpd processes is the only thing that
> fixes it.  For a while.
-alex