Re: [SQL] maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: [SQL] maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, John Scott wrote:

> well i wasn't interested in using oids in my application.
> i was curious about the relationship oids
> and the tuple/row limit.
>
> i guess if what you say is true, the oids are NOT used internally
> by postgres.  this seems odd.

> so, i guess my question still stands ... what happens when oids wrap?
> are oids nothing more than a sequence with an index,
> not used at all internally?

They are used for references between system tables.  That's why
you'll get intermittent failures on things like create statements after
rollover (system tables may have unique index on oid).
As far as I know the system doesn't do stuff with the oid on user rows.