RE: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject RE: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion
Date
Re: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
RE: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 15 May 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Lastly, inheritance?  I plan to leave out worrying about inheritance for
> starters, especially since it seems that half the constraints when added
> don't even propagate themselves properly to child tables...

Actually this brings up a problem I'm having with ALTER TABLE ADD
CONSTRAINT and since it mostly affects you with DROP CONSTRAINT, I'll
bring it up here.  If you have a table that has check constraints or
is inherited from multiple tables, what's the correct way to name an
added constraint that's being inherited?  If it's $2 in the parent,
but the child already has a $2 defined, what should be done?  The
reason this affects drop constraint is knowing what to drop in the
child.  If you drop $2 on the parent, what constraint(s) on the child
get dropped?