Re: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> Actually this brings up a problem I'm having with ALTER TABLE ADD
> CONSTRAINT and since it mostly affects you with DROP CONSTRAINT, I'll
> bring it up here.  If you have a table that has check constraints or
> is inherited from multiple tables, what's the correct way to name an
> added constraint that's being inherited?  If it's $2 in the parent,
> but the child already has a $2 defined, what should be done?  The
> reason this affects drop constraint is knowing what to drop in the
> child.  If you drop $2 on the parent, what constraint(s) on the child
> get dropped?

Seems like depending on the name is inadequate.  Perhaps a column should
be added to pg_relcheck to show that a constraint has been inherited.
Maybe "rcinherit" = OID of parent's equivalent constraint, or 0 if
constraint was not inherited.  Then you could do the right things
without making any assumptions about constraint names being the same.