Re: ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Ian Harding wrote:

> I am generating scripts from MSSQL Server and converting them to
> create objects in PostgreSQL.  It is suprisingly easy.  However, I
> think I may have hit a rock.
>
> It appears that PostgreSQL does not support listing constraints to be
> added as in the following syntax:
>
> alter table foo add
>     constraint fk_foo_bar foreign key
>     (
>         fooid
>     ) references bar (
>         barid
>     ),
>     constraint fk_foo_baz foreign key
>     (
>         footooid
>     ) references baz (
>         bazid
>     );
>
> Is this true?  Is this something that is being considered for addition?

AFAICS, that's not supported by the grammar in the SQL spec, however
it may be a reasonable extension.

> Also, I see that alter table add constraint does not work for
> defaults.  Is this something that is going to be added?
again AFAICS, add constraint has nothing to do with defaults,
it's for adding, unique/pkey, fkey and check constraints.  Ours
currently doesn't handle unique/pkey.  Probably will for 7.2.