Re: Re: ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Daugherty
Subject Re: Re: ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT
Date
List pgsql-general
>> Also, I see that alter table add constraint does not work for defaults.
>>
>> Is this something that is going to be added?
>
> That I do hope will be added since the only way to replicate the
> functionality is to drop, readd and repopulate a table.
>
> Greg

I am not sure specifically what you are looking for but you can add a
default value to a column in an ALTER TABLE statement:

ALTER TABLE two ALTER COLUMN col_b SET DEFAULT 1;

Beyond that you can use another ALTER statement to add a Foreign Key
constraint to the column:

ALTER TABLE two ADD CONSTRAINT two_fk foreign key(col_b) REFERENCES
tbl_one(col_a) match full;

The biggest thing that I have noticed is many things require you to use
separate ALTER statements in order for them to work.

I hope this helps.

jeff

Jeff Daugherty
Database Systems Engineer