RE: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject RE: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Robert D. Nelson wrote:

> >I'm wondering if you could be running out of kernel filetable slots,
> >so that the open of PG_VERSION is failing with ENFILE.  (This would be
>
> An interesting slashdot thread (that's saying alot, since I despise the
> place ;) yesterday mentioned putting cached stuff in RAM drives. Would that
> alleviate the problem, if one could load just the PG_VERSION's in there, or
> would it still need to allocate it when it was trying to read it? Don't
> think it's a real solution, merely curious :)

It still needs a file descritpor for each file opened ... for my system,
the default was somethign like 4k file descriptors, which I was blowing
away on a regular basis.  I ended up finally settling on 32k file
descriptors and the problem hasn't resurfaced ... I wasn't getting a
PG_VERSION file problem, but that appears to be the direction Tom is
thinking right now ...