Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dann wrote:
>Sure you can.  It's not easy of course.  That's one of the things that
>CONNX software does (I work for CONNX Solutions Inc.).  Certainly, the
>PostgreSQL group could accomplish the same thing, if they put their mind
>to it.
>
>I can easily join PostgreSQL tables to Oracle tables and insert the
>result set into DB/2.  No programs, no extracts.  Just a SQL query.

Very interesting...  I was just in a conversation here at work about
joining data from an oracle system with data in a postgresql
system...

FWIW, Oracle has something called "Oracle Generic Connectivity"
and "Oracle Transparent Gateways" that do similar.

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/datasheets/gateways/gateway_rel2_ds.html
 "Oracle Generic Connectivity and Oracle Transparent Gateways provide  the ability to transparently access data in
non-Oraclesystems from   an Oracle environment....

  ...Oracle Generic connectivity makes it possible to access low-end   data stores such as Foxpro, Access, dBase and
non-relationaltargets   like Excel. ...

  ...Oracle has transparent gateways to many sources, Sybase, Informix,   Microsoft SQL Server, Ingres, Teradata to
namea few."

I was mildly disapointed I didn't see PostgreSQL on the list. 1/2 :-) 1/2 :-|
Is this similar to what CONNX does?
 Ron