Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
IMVHO it's reference customers/users more than books & windows ports.

If I were a naive middle manager in some company, would I rather
use:
 (a) the database used by Yahoo, Cisco, and Sony? (b) the database used by Shannon Med Center, Mohawk SW, Vanten Inc,
andBASF.

Now suppose I told that same middle manager there was an open
source alternative:
 (c) used by Lockheed Martin, Nasdaq, AOL, and Unisys.

As far as I can tell (5-minutes searching) (c) is PostgreSQL.
 http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?q=postgresql http://www.hotjobs.com/cgi-bin/job-search?KEYWORDS=postgres
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=1002&dockey=xml/8/1/816e9b7e50ae92331bb5c47a791a589f@activejobs0&c=1
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=1002&dockey=xml/c/8/c8dc5841d18329c6c50b55f67a7ff038@activejobs0&c=1
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=1002&dockey=xml/1/6/168f30dc84b8f195d1fc35feb6a2f67a@activejobs0&c=1
"TheNasdaq Stock Market ... currently looking to fill the following   positions in Trumbull, CT...Some positions
requireknowledge of ...Postgre SQL.."

I'm not sure quite what it'd take to get the permission to use
these company's names, but surely we could have a list of links
to the job postings...   I'd bet that one of monster, hotjobs,
and/or dice would even provide a datafeed of relevant jobs to
be posted on the postgresql.org site.

If we simply had a list of companies using postgresql highly visible
somewhere -- not necessarily a complex case study, just simple list
of "company X uses postgresql for Y" statements -- I think it would
go a long way.  I'll contribute.  InterVideo uses postgresql (for
running user surveys and some internal reporting and development tools).
   Ron

PS: No offense to Shannon, Mohawk, Vanten, and yes, I know BASF is   an awesome company.  But they're all, even BASF,
lessof   a household name than Sony,Yahoo,Cisco,AOL,Nasdaq,Lockheed.