RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Haifang Wang (Centific Technologies Inc)
Subject RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thanks, Tom. Is there any suggestion on how to track all the conversations in one thread? Seems like all our previous
discussionare in different mail thread. It is not easy to track. 😊

Regards!
Haifang

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2024 3:55 PM
To: Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>
Cc: Haifang Wang (Centific Technologies Inc) <v-haiwang@microsoft.com>; Rahul Pandey <pandeyrah@microsoft.com>; Vishwa
Deepak<Vishwa.Deepak@microsoft.com>; Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>; Amy Wishnousky <amyw@microsoft.com>;
pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org;Shweta Gulati <gulatishweta@microsoft.com>; Ashish Nawal <nawalashish@microsoft.com>;
MagnusHagander <magnus@hagander.net>

Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607

> One open question is whether we should ship a translation file
> ourselves.  I have heard two opinions: Tom Lane proposed in this
> thread that there should be no file initially, we let the user figure
> out what to put in there.  Magnus Hagander proposed at the pgconf.dev
> conference last week that we should ideally ship a complete
> translation file and maintain it over time, and it should be installed
> not in pgdata but rather in the install directory.

FWIW, I'm kind of down on the latter approach, because I don't think it'll move the needle very far.  Based on track
recordso far, there's no chance that we will be aware of a Microsoft locale renaming before it starts breaking users'
databases. Therefore, "edit the translation file" is going to have to be a documented process in any case, because
affectedusers are not going to want to wait around for our next release for a fix.  Also, if people do have to do that,
itdoesn't seem like a great idea to tell them to modify an installed file rather than a cluster-local configuration
file. What if they do a minor version update but the minor version doesn't (yet) contain the fix?

Admittedly, the installed-file approach could make it more transparent for people who'd done a PG minor update before
therelevant Windows update.  I'm not sure how large that set of people will be, though.

            regards, tom lane